Thursday, March 4, 2010

Departure for China

This blog starts out on Wednesday night. I am packing for China and watching my beloved Boilermakers destroy IU. It was an awesome sight. I could have gone to that game but I had to pack, and visit my parents before I left. Also I would not have gotten back until really late.

Anyways I have a coworker originally from Minster, Ohio that lives in China full time. It is very hard to find or get any sweet foods in China so I always bring him a ton of junk food. He specifically requested oatmeal cream pies this time. Last time I packed a case of Mountain Dew and some junk food. He found a way to get Mountain Dew so I’m just bringing him sweets this time. Below is the food I’m bringing. On the way back after I get rid of all of this I should have enough room in my suit case for a cute little Asian girl… just kidding!


The picture below is of the New York City skyline from Newark airport. You can see the Empire State building. I had a really good view of it and the Statue of Liberty in the plane on the way into the airport. I spent a week in NYC several years back. It was awesome and I can’t wait to go back.


I’m in Newark airport for about 2 ½ hours so I decided to get my last American meal for a week. I went to a steakhouse planning on getting a steak and beer but the cheapest stake was $40. I didn’t think work would like that too much so I got a steak burger and a draft Budweiser for $25. A Budweiser at 12:30 in the afternoon on Thursday just seamed like a good idea today. I wanted to get a couple more to help me sleep on the 16 hour plane ride to Hong Kong but I also didn’t want to get up and go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

Below is my last American meal. From hear on out its going to be spicy Chinese food. The Americanized Chinese food we can buy in the US is nothing like the authentic food in China. Almost everything is spicy and I mean SPICY!! It all taste good but you have to have a strong stomach to try some of it because it doesn’t look too appetizing. I have stories about chicken feet and fish that are still moving from the last time I was there but maybe I can get some pictures while I’m there for a later post.


While I was typing this three pilots walked past and the one said to the other “holy shit, I’m still recovering from last night”. The other pilot said back “yeah it’s going to be a rough day”. I really hope they are not flying my plane!

About 20 hours from now I will be in China. Until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment