Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day Two in China

I got up this morning a little tired from last night but after a bottle of water and a couple pop tarts I was feeling like a million dollars. Below are a few pictures of our apartment, the living room, my bedroom and the view from the porch.







Its Saturday morning and our factory works a half a day on Saturday so we went in to go over a few projects and have a couple meetings. Below is a picture of our factory buildings and the office building.





After we left the factory we went and got some lunch. I ordered the spicy beef. It tasted great but it was freaking hot. My lips and tong are still numb and it’s five hours later when I’m writing this!! They use these tiny red peppers in most spicy food here. I don’t know what these peppers are called but I want to bring some home to make salsa. I’ve looked at every market and haven’t found them yet. Actually I don’t think I can bring them home with me

After we ate we went to the market to look around and buy some fruit. Its tropical here so the fruit is fresh and really good. The market smells horrible though because there is dead fish and animals everywhere. I actually saw a goose that was about to get its head chopped off. Poor bastard didn’t even see it coming. Below are a couple pictures of the market. The three guys in the first picture are my coworkers.





Below is a picture of some billboards on the drive back from the market



We then stopped at a DVD store to pick up some movies. I bought 53 DVD’s for $66. That is about $1.25each. A lot of them are even blue ray. I purchased a couple movies that are not even out on DVD yet in the US. Hopefully they make it through customs otherwise I might be held up for a while and paying a hefty fine. I bought a few Disney movies for my niece and nephew so if customs tries to take them we are going to have problem! There was also a guy down by the market selling “adult” DVD’s out of a basket on his motorcycle. He seamed pretty legit to me (sarcasm). About as legit as a dark van with tinted window that says “free candy” on the side!!

I was still a little dehydrated from last night so I bought a Nestle ice tea. The label is a little different in China



Well it’s Saturday night now. So I better drink a beer. Below is a picture of a beer can. They have the old pull tab like we use to have when I was a kid steeling my dads Old Milwaukee Heavy.



Oh, I just found out from one of my coworkers that I should have had a hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and a malaria shot before traveling to China. That would have been good to know about a year ago when I came here the first time!! Now I am petrified of the mosquitoes that are everywhere! That is similar to what happened to me my first time here. I was feeling sick for the first three days. Then one of my coworker told me that we are suppose to brush our teeth using bottled water and not the water in the sink! Some people need to be better at communicating important possible life or death information!!

The population of the area I am in is about 25-30 million. I’m not really sure because it seams like the cities and factories are non stop here. It’s hard to tell where one city stops and the next one starts. The average age here is 26 and there are 60-70% women. The reason for this is that this is the industrial area of China. China is huge; there are countless towns and villages in the remote hilly areas of China. The teenagers from these town and villages come here to get jobs because there are no jobs where they are from. So they work here for 10-15 years and save their money to return home and live off it for the rest of their lives. The reason it is mostly girls is because the guys stay home in the villages to work on the small farms. A 26 year old Asian women looks like she is about 20. So naturally anybody with an Asian fetish (not me of course) is in heaven here!

As I’m writing these blogs I decided there needs to be a new font for sarcasm. I throw a lot of it out there and I hope everybody is catching it… I’ll give Bill Gates a call and see what he can do about that. (see what I mean? That sentence should have been in sarcasm font)

No comments:

Post a Comment