Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 3, I'm huge in China

Have you ever heard the expression “I’m huge in China”? Well its true! I about 6’1” and I probably average about 10 inches taller than most Chinese people. For example in our apartment I have to bend over to use the counters in the kitchen and bath room. They are several inches below my waste. If I stood in front of our apartment door and someone looked through the peep hole they would see my chest. The shower head is also at chest height! If I was on my knees it would be about the right height.

Last night everyone was feeling lazy so we had McDonalds for dinner. I hate McDonalds. I don’t even eat it in the US. I’m all about trying the local cuisine. I like to pick random things on the menu that I have no idea what it is. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t but life is too short to not experiment. I learned that from my grandma when I was younger. My dad farms with my grandpa so as a kid my brother and I spent at lot of time at my grandma and grandpas house. My grandma always made rhubarb pie. It looked disgusting; I would never even consider trying it. Finally after about 15 years of my life avoiding rhubarb pie I tried it and realized that I loved it. Now it is my favorite pie. The lesson of this story is that you have to try something before you decide you don’t like it. So when I travel I take every chance I can to try something different. We just ate lunch at one of the club houses on the golf course and I just picked some random dish off of the menu and it was actually really good. I have no idea what I ate or where it came from but it tasted good.

Today is Sunday, so it is more of a relaxed day. Last night I couldn’t sleep so I was up until about 2am emailing and doing some work. Then I woke up at 6am this morning and couldn’t fall back to sleep. As soon as I got up I had to check the Purdue score to see if they won their last regulation game. They are now Big Ten champs. Too bad they have to share that title with OSU and possibly Michigan State. Oh well that makes the lead leading 22 or 23 Big Ten Championships for Purdue. I’m going insane not being able to watch basketball. The internet is not fast enough to stream it. I tried watching Chinese basketball on TV but that is almost as bad as watching women’s basketball. For a team to score 25 points in a game is just not interesting!!

Anyways back onto the subject of China. The toilets in China are much different than in the US. Take a look at the picture below. Everybody squats in China! I bet that makes it hard to read the newspaper. Fortunately our apartment and most nice restaurants have toilets like ours in the US. The Chinese people actually think toilets like ours are discusting because everybody sits on the seat. With their toilets they "hover" above the toilet so they do not touch the surface. It makes sense but I still prefer our style of toilet!



I took a walk around our apartment complex today. It’s a really large apartment complex. There are probably about 40-50 twelve story apartment buildings with eight apartments on each story. The 216 hole golf course is surrounded with complexes like this.



The apartment complex even has it own kindergarten.



The center of the apartment complex has a main building almost like Sandals resort in the Bahamas. It’s a large building with a huge pool in the back. Below is a picture of the pool. It’s 80 degrees here and they don’t even have any water in the pool. If there was water in there I would be at the swim up bar drinking a beer right now. Actually a pina colada sounds better, wonder if they make those here?!?



I think we are going to do a little shopping and have sushi for dinner tonight. I’m not a big fan of sushi because its not very filling but like I said earlier I like to try new stuff. The wasabi sauce they have here is so hot a drop of it burns your tongue for an hour. The reason you eat wasabi with sushi is because the sushi (raw fish and seafood) had bacteria on it because it has not been cooked. The spices in the wasabi sauce is basically to sterilize the bacteria in your stomach so you don’t get sick. Cooking the food makes more sense to me but what the hell. Life is short, live it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment