Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

I don’t really know much about Cinco de Mayo except that is the fifth of May, a Mexican holiday and a day to drink lots of alcohol so I decided to do a little research.

Most people (including myself) think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico. We that is incorrect, Mexico’s independence day is actually September 16th.

Cinco de Mayo is a voluntarily observed holiday that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

This battle was significant in that the 4,000 Mexican soldiers were greatly outnumbered by the well-equipped French army of 8,000 that had not been defeated for almost 50 years. It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States.

I also wondered why we celebrate it so much in the US but then I started thinking that we celebrate St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, and the somewhat the Chinese New Year in the US so why not celebrate any holiday that requires large amounts of alcohol!

All this talk about Mexico makes me think about illegal immigration. In late April, Arizona passed bill authorizing police officers to stop suspected illegal immigrants and demand proof of citizenship. Evidently this is controversial and created a large uproar.

I don’t see what the big deal is. If you are driving a car and a cop pulls you over you are required to have your drivers license on you to show the officer. So if you are in a country you are not born in shouldn’t you have documentation showing that you are permitted to be there? I truly don’t see the big deal. I hope other states follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment